Late September thoughts about stewardship
Today, I was thinking about stewardship -- not just in terms of Trinity, but wholistically: in terms of everything in my life. Stewardship is defined as "One who manages another's property, finances, or other affairs." For each of us, what we are managing is not ours; what we manage has been given and entrusted to us by God. We are here on earth "managing" that which He has given us.
This is important to remember because it means that nothing is ours. Nothing. You've heard the old saying, "You can't take it with you." Well, you can't take it with you because it's not yours to take.
This creates an interesting situation. I don't think we are asked to give up everything, but we are certainly asked to take stock of our situation and give... and to likely give a little more than we first think we ought. If you're anything like me, the first thought at giving isn't much; I'm not advocating painful levels of giving, but our first thought is probably some amount that doesn't even mean a thing.
We have been given much. We are called to put it to good use.
This is important to remember because it means that nothing is ours. Nothing. You've heard the old saying, "You can't take it with you." Well, you can't take it with you because it's not yours to take.
This creates an interesting situation. I don't think we are asked to give up everything, but we are certainly asked to take stock of our situation and give... and to likely give a little more than we first think we ought. If you're anything like me, the first thought at giving isn't much; I'm not advocating painful levels of giving, but our first thought is probably some amount that doesn't even mean a thing.
We have been given much. We are called to put it to good use.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home